The relevant dimensions are: age, occupation, marital/partner status, level of education, level of income and ED medication use habits (i.e. Viagra dropout).
Within these segments, the populations to target are:
• Age: Men ages 50+ (slight market with men ages 40-49)
• Occupation: Retired or employed full time
• Marital Status: Married or living together with a partner / have a sexual partner
• Education: U.S. – high level of education; Other countries – secondary to primary level of education
• Income: U.S. – mid to high level of income; Other countries – …show more content…
Pfizer will most likely play up its 5-year track record as safe and effective drug, will play up its brand recognition and will fight competitors aggressively.
Bayer will most likely pursue a niche strategy to gain market share of ED patients with diabetes.
• Viagra is already established in the marketplace
• History of health scare when Viagra was introduced, this may make consumers weary of a new ED product.
• Joint marketing venture between Lily & ICOS, Lily with lots of experience, ICOS with new talent, the two companies worked well together.
• Who should marketing focus on? Doctors? Patients? Partners?
• Levitra is expected to be niche market for diabetics with ED. Cialis may want to avoid competition with this market.
• What should the price point be? Viagra is at $10/pill.